Year 2 Key Knowledge and Essential Skills
To prepare children for Year 3, here is a list of essential skills and key knowledge that they can practice and consolidate over the summer. They should be practiced in regular, short bursts; during a car journey, in the bath etc. Turn it into a game and make it fun!
- Having an instant recall of number bonds to 10, 20 and 100.
- Counting in 2s, 3s and 5s
- Counting in 10s forwards and backwards from any given number. E.g. 1, 11, 21, 31…
- Having an instant recall of the 2, 5 and 10 times table up to 12 x.
- Knowing the values of digits in 2 digit numbers. E.g. 83 = 8 tens and 3 ones.
- Telling the time to o’clock, quarter past, half past and quarter to.
- Recognising and knowing the value of coins and notes. Knowing how to make the same amount with different coins, being able to work out change.
- Finding fractions of a number including ½ ¼ 1/3, 2/3, ¾
- Recognising and name 2D and 3D shapes
- Bee, flower and leaf words (find word mats on website)
- Days of the week
- Numbers in words to 100
- Recap spelling rules that were uploaded to Home Learning pages.
- Continue to read at home regularly
- Ask comprehension questions (see levelled bookmarks for example questions. Lime questions are suitable for free readers)
- Practice reading with expression and fluency, taking note of punctuation
- Can you spot… alliteration, onomatopoeia, similes, 4 sentence types (statements, questions, commands, exclamations), contractions, compound words (superman) and different word classes (adjectives, nouns, verbs and adverbs).
Education City for spelling, grammar and Maths
Times Tables Rockstars
Bug Club – reread books
Top Marks – Maths games
- Tying shoelaces
- Zipping up coats
- Learning left and right