Year 6 Handbook
We would like you to start planning a handbook to help the next generation of Year 6s. This activity has been split up into different tasks for the next four days.
Reading - Alice in Wonderland
We are setting you a different chapter of Alice in Wonderland to read or listen to each day.
Below you will find a selection of activities which you could do alongside them.
There is also an Alice in Wonderland Reading Comprehension which you can try (1 star = Bronze 1/2, 2 stars = Silver, 3 stars = Gold). You will find the answers at the end of the document.
- Summarise the chapter in 50 – 100 words, by picking out only the key details
- CHALLENGE: Get your summary down to just 10-20 words!
- Write 5-10 comprehension questions about the chapter you have just read. Make sure you know the answers too! (use the question stems sheet to help you with this)
- CHALLENGE: Include one question from each of the question stems
- Choose one scene from the chapter you have read and draw it out, using information from the text to help you with this. Annotate the image showing the characters’ thoughts in one colour and things they say in another.
- CHALLENGE: Storyboard the whole scene in no more than six images, which you must draw using information from the text. Underneath each picture, explain what is happening and what each character is thinking and why.
- Choose a character who features in the chapter you have read and write down everything you know about them using the information from the text. Then see if you can make five inferences about them too, e.g. Alice is brave because she stands up for herself in the courtroom scene, even though she is at risk of getting her head chopped off.
- CHALLENGE: As above, but compare two characters from the scene, saying how they are the same and different
It is important we keep moving during these next few days so this activity should help with that. You are going to use your surroundings to come up with some maths questions and then think of a physical activity which can be linked to the question too. All of the instructions are in the document below.